Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Week 1 Done

So I took the plunge, I put my $10 out there into the CrossFit pool to see where I stand amongst those that compete.  Now, I am pretty sure there are no excuses to anything, but I gotta throw this one out there. . .

The workout this week is one about pace.  There is no denying that.  I have mentioned in prior posts about finding your pace and sticking with it.  This first week of the CrossFit games opening workout couldn't be more perfect to what I have been preaching.  Shoot your adrenaline too fast and you will end up a heaping/heaving pile in little too no time. . . on the flip side, go to slow and you'll regret what you have in the tank.

For me, I have a little bit of a chest cold, let's add to it that I get a little nervous (not like you "I gotta pee before my workouts" folks) before I work out, an anxiety.  But whatever, breath and find your zone, clear the mechanism.

So it is a 10 min AMRAP of 30 Double-Unders and 15 Power Snatches @ 75 lbs.  Nothing too fancy, simple, not too heavy, graceful and debillitating.  Yes, the last word has been said, in true CrossFit fashion, this workout can gas you.  Like I said, chest cold, trust me.

My Coach told me to breathe, just breathe, during the middle of the workout (cause there was no way I was getting a DNF for this workout).  I felt the pressure of a Josh Everestt (look it up) PR deadlift on my chest.  I had to move.  I hacked up a lung afterwards, I thought my lungs were going to burst out of my chest.

The rope felt light as a feather. . .

Remember that, the rope is light as a feather as it flows around you, whispering sweet nothings into your ears.  The sounds all appear to go away, only to have reality quickly snapped back into place when the judge yells "Thirty!" and you approach the cold steel laying on the floor.  You grasp the bar with a sure handed grip and tighten up that back, and heave-ho, standing upright - gettting the weight above your head only to bring it back down.  This is where pace is important, this is where the light weight turns evil and becomes heavy.  "15!" The judge yells as you take some respite from the gong of the bar - and back and forth between the graceful glide of the rope to the clanging of the barbell. 

Somewhere in the midst of all this work, someone is giving you an idea of how much time you have.  Hopefully, someone is there by your side, cheering you on.  Listen to what makes sense - but you work the way you work!  Get it done - and keep moving. 

No quotes from famous people this evening.  Only my own words of wisdom as a CrossFit Athlete and Coach.

May the words of those you respect ring in your ears as you toil, cause at the very least, those that you respect will be there in spirit.

Good luck with your workouts - I will be in Mexico for the rest of the Week 1 of the CrossFit Games Opens.  Here's to Taking the First Step.

- Coach Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment