Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Judging

I think as a Coach one of our responsibilities is to give you the truth all the time. . .




So imagine being in class last night, I throw out a compliment and someone stops to address what I have said.  I guess that is sort of my own fault.  I question whether or not I throw out positive reinforcement often enough.  Encouragement is one thing, a positive attitude is contagious and being overly complimentary would do you a disservice. At times I find it necessary to give a keen eye to the movements that you are performing.  I address it in my own particular order based on what it is you are doing.

Therefore, safety is of the utmost concern.  If the movement isn't performed correctly, I want to see where this is occurring and address it.  Next is efficiency, because efficiency is competency in performance - and it will also take you to the next level.  The last part is intensity - a level that I can recall in most people's eyes from various workouts and once you are performing safely and efficiently then you can bring the intensity.

There is a fine line between efficiency and intensity, but that isn't what this is about.


"If I had eyes in the back of my head, it would make things so much easier." 

This picture is not me, FYI.

Every rep I see, every rep I count, every movement performed - I bring an analytical point of view to discern whether or not it is being performed right.  There are normally two coaches every evening that I Coach.  But on the rare nights, if I had eyes in the back of my head, it would make things so much easier.  

The last thing I want is for you to perform a movement incorrectly and slowly start to adapt it into your regular routine.  It will affect you more than you think, and I will feel guilty for not having seen it.

If I do see a movement that you do perform correctly, I think it is pretty safe to say that I only say something truly positive once.  I love the sense of accomplishment that you feel when you get it down - and then repeat it - over and over again.  The movement being etched in your brain like a 8 year old playing with a Etch-a-Sketch.  


So don't be dismayed - patience is the virtue that we seek as our journey through CrossFit leaves the beginner, the novice and the intermediate in us behind.  For some it's months and for others, years - but I will let you in on a little secret - I have yet to meet a master who has nothing left to learn.  So I will judge you until we accomplish what you came to do.

"Willing or preferring is the same with respect to good and evil, that judging is with respect to truth or falsehood."
            -Anthony Collins

-Coach Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment