Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Evolution of a Class

It wasn't too long ago, about a year and 6 months ago today, that 3-6 people was the common number of people per class, oh my oh my, how times have really started to change. . .




Now almost every class is filled with 10-20 people, sometimes even more.  The interesting part is how we structure our classes and communicate to the masses.  We have to have the ability to meet everyone's needs,  to analyze movements on the fly and correct what we see.  To teach the masses how to better themselves to lead fitter lives.  There are now two Coaches per class and we are still trying to view everything at once.  I find that the hardest thing to do is sit back and take it all in.  I don't mean literally sit back, I am quite demanding of the people that I coach, only because I want to see them succeed.  If you have issues with particular movements, I want to be able to elicit the same response that the movement is calling for by doing something else.  The interesting part is providing a balance to everyone, because everyone is different.

So it's a fact that we have been adding in the Olympic movements on a more common basis.  That with the addition of gymnastic movements (such as the handstand push-up and the muscle-up), has really created a huge difference to how we coach.  There are people at all different skill levels whether beginner, novice or experienced.  Be patient, but aggressive in how you learn.  Since everyone learns at a different pace and through different channels, it can be quite difficult to accommodate, rest assured, we will be there for you.

I want to highlight the night crew classes.  Since I work with most of these folks, I find that the change has been amazing.  As people start to grow and learn new movements, attain new strengths, get faster, I miss the camaraderie that I saw early on.  Part of what we do as a CrossFit culture is to have a foundation of inspiration and motivation - we want to push each other to higher levels.  It is as simple as cheering, but we know that when you add a name with cheering that it makes the experience that much greater.  It takes the individual to a personal level that even they don't know.

   
The experience feels that much better and we have all felt that.

I recommend finding someone that you regularly work with in a class and start to challenge them.  If you get 15 double-unders, push someone to get 20, then try and beat it.  If you can string together three muscle-ups, see if you can push someone to do more.  Then beat em.

Push yourself to new heights by encouraging others around you.

-Coach Tony


"When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. "
                                                                       ~ Harriet Beecher Stowe

No comments:

Post a Comment