Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Spent

It means to be done, finished, gasping for air, unclear on where you are and what you are doing, c'mon, you know what I mean. . . .

This is the part where you lay on the ground making the token sweat angel (see below):





That is the exact message that you see, "Yeah, that one hurt." 

That is the exact feeling that you get.  I have mentioned before that CrossFit has the ability to push you to the edge, take you a little further than you have gone, but what really cramps my style as a Coach is when the workout is meant to be tough and I see the shoulda, coulda, woulda painted on faces.  It's something that just drives me crazy.  I don't know why, for example, you would want any of those expressions on your face.  Not in this culture.  Sure, we are realistic and optimistic.  That is a given in this culture.  The other given is that you put in your all.  Now, I want to be clear that this is in no means a reflection of my classes last night.  Those went extremely well and based on the given weight that we used for "Grace" (135 lb m / 95 lb w - 30 repetitions of a Clean & Jerk for time) or a scaled version, I believe that everyone did really, really well.

But for some reason I couldn't get this thought out of my mind.  If we provide our all, we leave a little bit out there on the floor.  Now, you can take this literally or figuratively, I am not the one to decide.  I would love to see everyone laid out after a workout, because this means to things to me:

1)  Your spent - very nice
2)  You worked your ass off to get where you are. . . . from where you were.

I think that going to the edge affords us an opportunity to push ourselves to newer heights, to attain goals, whether they be stronger, faster or better.  Don't shrug at me if a workout only calls for 15 reps of a deadlift, because those deadlifts had better be at 90%+ of your 1 rep max, and you should be trembling from stem to stern.

The next time a workout is posted, give it 100% - then everyday after that, continue.  You'll come to realize that working out in that realm is the best possible thing for you.

 

In this culture, the line is straight everytime.

-Coach Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment