Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Welcoming Party

Welcome to CrossFit Relentless, my name is Tony, what can I do for you today?


It's a situation I have faced a multitude of times over and many members that I met on their first day I still Coach almost two years later.  Now sure, there has been turnover, some I don't remember, some I wish could have stayed, and some that I still keep in contact with.  Tonight was slightly nostalgic as I met two new folks who just wanted to give "it" a shot.  And last night actually went really, really well.  


I thought that everyone was welcoming to the two new guys that came to "try out" CrossFit Relentless from the PGA Tour.  They are only in town for a week and decided to give it a shot, they had never been to a CrossFit in their own town and they travel 40 weeks out of the year, phew!  Last night couldn't have been more perfect as a Team WOD required communication, teamwork, and support.  And interestingly enough, they were yelled at by teammates and were not uneasy about it, they worked . . . and worked . . . until the work got done.

Just like everyone else, sweaty disheveled and laying up against the wall, a smile crept over a face and the words escaped slightly parched lips as sweat meandered down creases in the skin, "that was rough, but I like it". 

Can you say hooked?

It's a wonder sometimes that people take such a liking to a semi-sadistic form of working out.

Sidenote:
I am not in it to see you in pain, to distribute pain, to be mean, to put you down or make you hurt in any way shape or form.  My goal is to elicit potential because it is there - within you, my job is safety first, technique second, you provide the intensity, ability, and talent.

Sidenote ended.

So I gotta give it up to the 5 o'clock class for bearing in mind that it was their first time - oh and did I mention they say they are coming again tomorrow?  CrossFit isn't a community built by coaches, it's a community built by members - people who care for one another and develop a sense of camaraderie through arduous work and similar goals.

Enough of the gushy stuff - hug somebody if you feel the need, but it better not be me.

- Coach Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment