Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Technique is Calling. . .

Stretching is on hold and after a night of what must have felt like getting thrashed, there appears to be much to reflect on . . .




After three classes tonight, I came to a firm conclusion that we may not be on the same wave length.  Upon conclusion of a class, I would hope that everyone would stretch, notice that I stated everyone. . .

Upon multiple occassions, after corrections to form and technique have been corrected, someone may have indicated. "write that one down".

All to often, class ends, and life re-starts, this I clearly understand.  Having wreaked havoc upon your body, the last thing you want to do is struggle more.  Stretching just isn't fun, but hey, it's more than necessary.

The Samson stretch works the hip flexors and extensors and helps with range of motion when squatting a lot:
 
You know what else it can do?  It can help alleviate the hell pain you feel in the morning after, hmmm, say wallballs (maybe coupled with some ice)?  When performed after a workout.

The Lacrosse ball also can do some work for you as well:
how-to-stretch-your-back-bits
Here is a good video by KStarr in regards to this.




Please note, this by no means is aimed at one person.

I recently read an article from Dan John.  He stated the following, "They say it takes upwards of 10,000 repetitions to re-establish a new motor pattern, which is a hell of a lot more than most sane people will ever do. Add in that when you do a set of 10, if the first 3 are good and the next 7 are shit, 70% of your set just reinforced bad technique. So, your shit bench is becoming a stronger shit bench – and shit technique plus heavy weight is the recipe for injury."

Interesting . . . 

Let's talk about form correction, because if we correct form, we should make note of the correction and work to attain proper form.  This is crucial, please read the note above if you have not done so, because I couldn't say it any better myself.  It doesn't just apply to bench, but all movements that we do.

In the spirit of keeping this light and jovial, please keep in mind that we are all privy to such despondence.  I want you to succeed every day, not just every competition, and since I feel the competitiveness of the box begin to grow, I find it necessary to give you the tools to take yourself up another notch.

-Coach Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment