Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Goal Achieved?

For those of you that hear about people's goals, here is a little snippet of what can occur with a little persistency. . .




Last night felt very accomplished.  A lot of good movements performed, people coming to the box and just getting annihilated during the workout.  The first class had a lot of people in it, the second class not so much, and the third class seemed to be the largest 7 pm class I have ever had.  I think I see a trend towards the CFR Nightcrew to take over the entire box.  What really got me pumped up was that even as athletes finished, they came outside to support their fellow athletes, which speaks volumes of the camaraderie this group has developed. 

So the 7 pm class finishes their workout, I figure I would give the 12 foot gap between the pull-up bars a shot.  I have attempted this movement multiple times and I have been working on it for about a two months.  I practice by swinging from one bar to the other often, working the 4 to 6 foot gaps that we have at the box.  I work on trajectory, swing speed and allowing my momentum to move me through the air.

Sometimes I find something that just puts me on Cloud 9.  Well, after having followed the Parkour movement since watching District B13, over 6 years now, I have decided to start giving some of the movements a shot.  That coupled with the following video really gave me the sense that I needed to do this:
(by the way, my best friend live's in California - in Los Angeles - guess where I am stopping next?)

I have started to figure out what my body can do.  I try to stick with the bodyweight movements - the handstand push-ups, muscle-ups, various gymnastic movements and WODs through www.gymnasticswod.com and mobility through www.mobilitywod.com, I felt pretty comfortable attempting this feat.

I have failed more times than I care to count - but each time I have learned from it.  That is what you should be keeping in mind as you go for your goals.  Failures will eventually lead to success, it is the strong-willed that will pursue with determination and continue on when everyone else decides enough is enough.

That being said, most - if not all - of the 7 pm class was hanging around, Coach Doug thought it would be a good idea to whip out a camera, and then Coach Lynnette thought that was awesome so she whips out her camera. . .

"Great," I start thinking to myself, "What if I fail in front of the class?", really that became an afterthought as soon as I got up onto the bar.  My grip felt strong, my body lanky (riiigght) as I swung like a pendulum - developing necessary speed to cross a gap that was clearly within my reach but I could never conquer.  On the third swing I released - flying through the air - it felt like time had stopped and I could be anywhere. . .

The results will be posted as soon as Coach Doug provides the video.

And if that wasn't anti-climactic enough, then I don't know what else to say.

Enjoy the rest of the week and thanks to all the athlete's for supporting each other, I am so very, very proud.

-Coach Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment