Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Challenge

It's been far too long since I have written, therefore, I decided to get right back into it here and now . . .


For many folks, the challenge isn't doing the work.  Sure it can be challenging, but that is not the predominant piece of all this.

The challenge is typically the motivation to work, the want and need to get the job done.

Let's think about 20 years from now and where you want to be in life, for those of you that happen to read this and are younger, lets up it to 40 years from now. 

Thinking that far ahead in life is interesting.  It provides a perspective that most don't often think about.  It also should provide some insight as to whether the choices that you make now may be detrimental to your future.  So let's have a look shall we:

Twenty (or forty) years from now we want to be able to perform the following:

Basic ADLs (BADLs) consist of self-care tasks, including:
  • Personal hygiene and grooming
  • Dressing and undressing
  • Self feeding
  • Functional transfers (Getting from bed to wheelchair, getting onto or off of toilet, etc.)
  • Bowel and bladder management
  • Ambulation (Walking without use of use of an assistive device (walker, cane, or crutches) or using a wheelchair)
Those are just the basic parts, is there more Coach?

Sure there is . . .


Instrumental activities of daily living (IADLs) are not necessary for fundamental functioning, but they let an individual live independently in a community:
  • Housework
  • Taking medications as prescribed
  • Managing money
  • Shopping for groceries or clothing
  • Use of telephone or other form of communication
  • Using technology (as applicable)
  • Transportation within the community

So why would I want to work out now?  Why eat clean now (provided that your definition of eating clean is a lifestyle choice that works for you, i.e. paleo, primal, zone, etc)?

Because no matter what point of my life - I want to be able to perform all of these functions as an afterthought, not as something that I have to think about.  I don't want to burden others, I want to take care of myself.  The action shouldn't be a reaction to a life event, in the best possible instance it is a proactive approach to life - an example would be like saving money for a trip, or in better terms, saving money for retirement.  If we are proactive now, it will pay in dividends in the future (no pun intended). 

When I'm 70 or 80, if I make it to 90 - let me be the guy that people go, "Whoa, he just keeps going, where does he get all that energy from?"

So, let's get to work.

-Coach Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment