Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

. . . And the Seven Dwarfs

Last night I had a spark of creativity.  Well, this little bug wouldn't let go and as I instructed class after class there was a noticeable trend developing.  As I paused for a moment of reflection I thought about Disney movies, and only one little tale popped into my head, and one character from another movie . . .

Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Sneezy, and Dopey

These are the folks in my box.  At one point or another, I get this group of folks who embody the Seven Dwarfs along with Hammy from Over the Hedge.  Now this is not to slight a single person or anyone.  Because the Seven Dwarfs work hard every day.  They are walking to work, mining (which by the way is dangerous) and bringing back the fruits of their labor to their home.  Guess what?  They are carrying long loads over a long distance, because I am sure that bags of jewels aren't necessarily light.  And can you imagine mining all day?

Well the day for these folks is one hour long in my eyes.  An hour of attention focused on technique, on pushing themselves, and on finding the jewel.  The jewel is anything that makes them happy.

Enter Hammy

 
And if you haven't watched Over the Hedge, I highly suggest it.  But I always get two forms of Hammy, and the one I like the most are the folks who tear through a workout like they are high on energy drinks.  As if time has stopped for them and they just plow through it.

Hammy has one issue though - and it's shiny ball syndrome, with this in mind, focus is required.

Let me reiterate, I am sure that there is another movie that embodies my gym to the nth degree, but these two moves do a pretty good job of summing it up.  And if that wasn't enough, I had mentioned to folks last night that I enjoy watching the workouts and seeing people work.  What better way to watch character development than through the eye of the director?

You folks, whether you know it or not, have developed so quickly.  Keep plugging away.

-Coach Tony

"Animation can explain whatever the mind of man can conceive. This facility makes it the most versatile and explicit means of communication yet devised for quick mass appreciation. "
Walt Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment