Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How

So I never did indicate in yesterday's blog exactly what ADL's stood for - in that regard, my apologies upfront.  ADL's stand for Activities of Daily Living and although that topic is ripe for talking about, I don't mind being optimistic and changing my tune for the better today.


So as indicated in the Title of the post, the question is how. . .

How do you do pull-ups?
How do you do GHD's?
How do you snatch?

That simple word emanates curiosity to the most infinite degree.  As a child learns to walk and speak, they begin to wander around trying to look at things, figure them out, play with them, etc.

Guess what?  Adults are no different, especially when it comes to CrossFit.

Learn one thing and another movement or piece of equipment takes its place.

So, you can always do a little research on the subject first.  An example that I like to use would be rowing.  If I am learning how to row, I would first ask my Coach, then move onto any videos I could see on the CrossFit website.  Following that, I would go to the manufacturers site, Concept2  and poke around there to see if there were any additional tutorial videos.  With all this in mind, I have taken my notes, done my due diligence and its time to put things into practice.

If I am doing Olympic Movements (snatch / clean & jerk) I would start with the a pvc pipe and a camera.  You want to perform the same movement with a pvc pipe that you would a 500 lb loaded barbell (obviously within reason, we all know the PVC pipe is pretty light). 

The reason you have the camera is if no one is there to watch you perform the movement.  If you are doing this with a Coach, for example, yesterday's skill sessions, then you would have immediate feedback.

Many members can attest to the fact that if you are truly working on something, you must be performing it very often, like 6 times a week often.  Coach B (CrossFit's Olympic Coach) says you should do the Burgener Warm-up every day, I concur.  If your big thing is Oly lifting and a man who coaches thousands of people says you should do one thing everyday, guess what?  Do it.

So, let's recap - ask, research, perform, perform, perform, analyze, perform.. . .

When you get it, practice it often enough and at the pace at which you want to be in competition (if competition is your thing), intensity will do wonders, and as we've harped on so many times before, strength will come, so allow technique to take the lead.

Happy Tuesday

-Coach Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment