Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Defy

To defy -
1)  Openly resist or refuse to obey
2)  (of a thing) Make (an action or quality) almost impossible



Change is often inevitable, and the changes that I see in some folks defy what we see in the current mainstream of today's outlets.  We have a visual bombardment by magazine, TV, and movies to look a certain way, act a certain, dress a certain way, etc.

No, I am not speaking about strong is the new skinny or "fat" skinny as I have sometimes read.

What I am talking about is the physical change in folks that you see on the P90x infomercials and the Hydroxycut ads that provide a visual hypnosis that makes you think that those things work. . . let me show you what the little statement at the bottom provides you, *please note, no reading glasses required.

Results may vary . . .

Well, in my eyes that is a pretty open-ended statement.  But I have a couple things to throw back - just some thoughts really.

CrossFit has the potential for results to vary as well - you will get leaner, with proper nutrition and exercise.  You will get stronger - if that's your focus.  You will get faster - if that's your focus.  You will be in better physical shape than before - fact.  Lately, CrossFit has been in the news that athlete's at higher levels than I will ever attain (hey, some of us dream about playing football in the NFL) have used CrossFit as a supplement to their own specialized training - weird . . .  


How about an infomercial that doesn't pretend to shed 30 lbs in 30 days on a pill, that would be worthwhile.  Imagine if hard work became the supplement that we needed to become healthy and eating correctly became the way in which we lived our lives.

Those of us that work hard - the CrossFit folks, the Olympic Lifters, and those that get to the gym regularly can just continue to defy mainstream media - be uplifting in our own rights - be humble and help those in need - I like that.  And we can continue to defy the fallacy that one pill can cure it all.

-Coach Tony
 

No comments:

Post a Comment