Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's Day

I don't want to be like everyone else, but as a prior military member, with friends in the past who were in the military, friends currently in the military, with two brother's who were in the military, with a grandfather who was in the military, and having coached military members, I think its my duty now as a CrossFit coach and athlete to show some remembrance to today Veteran's Day - November 11, 2010. . .



As a CrossFit Coach and athlete, the Hero WOD's (workouts of the day) hold a special place in my heart.  They send chills up my spine, they make me quiver with nervousness, and they make me wanna do the nervous pee pee dance when I see them on any Whiteboard, especially on the mainsite.

When I see a new Hero WOD, I get sad.  I get despondent and downhearted with a moment of reflection, sad with the thoughts of "What if that was my brother? Father?  Friend?  Cousin?" etc.  I continue reading the description of the Hero WOD only to read who this individual(s) may have left behind to carry on their memory, be it their mother, daughter, sister, son, brothers or just family in general.  Those Hero's gave their life for a country, for a reason, the least I can do is dig down deep and find it in myself to do this workout. 

Then I get excited for the workout.  This workout, not just any workout!  A workout that makes you put it on the line, one that makes you think of the individual who is now gone, the one that makes you think that you if you take a break - get a sip of water, slow down, take a knee, put your hands on your knee, doubled over trying to breath - you may just be doing a dishonor to their memory, a dishonor to all they did for you.

This is our tribute to them, all the fallen soldiers, all whom we have lost.  That workout is specifically dedicated to an individual(s), but one represents all.  So with that in mind, my Hero WOD will be


Badger

Complete three rounds for time of:
95 pound Squat clean, 30 reps
30 Pull-ups
Run 800 meters

If you want to join me, post time to comments.


Here is the History behind Badger:
SEAL chief killed in Iraq, Navy says
Staff writer
Posted : Friday Dec 14, 2007 12:03:13 EST

A Virginia-based SEAL who received two Bronze Stars with “V” devices was killed Tuesday in Iraq, according to a Navy release.

Chief Special Warfare Operator Mark Thomas Carter, 27, of Fallbrook, Calif., was killed in enemy action somewhere in Iraq. Carter was with Tactical Development and Evaluation Squadron 2, based in Virginia Beach, Va.

Carter joined the Navy in 1998, according to Navy records, and graduated from Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL school the next year. He was assigned to SEAL Team 3, based at Naval Base Coronado, Calif., then SEAL Team 7.

In April 2004, Carter was assigned to Naval Special Warfare Development Group at Dam Neck, Va., according to information provided by Navy Personnel Command. That group, formerly known as SEAL Team 6, is an ultra-secretive unit that reports to Joint Special Operations Command, which includes Delta Force.

He received his current assignment in July 2006. Carter was selected for chief earlier this year.

“I am honored to serve with and lead men and women like Chief Mark Carter. He was an outstanding SEAL, teammate, and great American,” Carter’s commanding officer, who was not named, said in a statement. “On behalf of my command, I extend my condolences and heartfelt sympathy to his family and friends. His ultimate sacrifice, the most noble act for any American warrior, is our tragic loss, and I urge those who knew him to honor his life, in the best way we know how.”

In addition to his Bronze Star, Carter received a Joint Service Commendation Medal with “V” device, two Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medals, two Combat Action Ribbons, and an Afghanistan Campaign Medal, among other decorations.

“Losing any of the warriors serving in Naval Special Warfare is a significant loss, but losing a chief petty officer makes that loss even tougher,” said Lt. David Luckett, Naval Special Warfare Group 2 spokesman. “Like so many of his brothers in the SEAL community, Chief Carter lived the SEAL Code, and his actions on and off the battlefield embodied everything noble about serving in the Navy and in Naval Special Warfare.”

Carter is survived by his father, mother, three brothers and four sisters.


Like I posted in my prior blog about CrossFit Ironwill:
(http://anthonyoteri.blogspot.com/2010/11/crossfit-ironwill.html#more)

"On a day that one of the CrossFit Hero's gave their lives, Heath and Katie perform that Hero's workout in honor of them.  I find this truly amazing, there are a couple reasons behind this:

1.)  There are 41 Hero Workouts - that's a lot of research.
2.)  They are extremely hard - scaled or unscaled
3.)  They require dedication by the athlete and a lot of motivation - both of which Heath and Katie instill in their athletes from the outset and provide while they work out."

So you have 41 Hero Workouts to choose from, some of your gyms will be doing a Hero WOD that they choose. 

Whatever you decide to do, take a moment of silence in remembrance. 

Happy Veterans Day to all who have served past and present. You are appreciated for all your sacrifices and those of your families.

 "As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them"
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy

2 comments:

  1. Well put Tony! We did Lumberjack 20 today to honor the victims from the homeland terror incident at Fort Hood over a year ago. asrx-29:07

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heath! I did Badger and have to start reconsidering how I prioritize my workouts and my conditioning - rx 38:30

    ReplyDelete