Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Friday, November 12, 2010

A little bit about goals

I haven't seen some of the people that I started Crossfitting with for a long time, but last night I got the opportunity to do so.  A couple of the young ladies were powercleaning some weight, going for PR's, I am unaware whether or not they had already worked out.  One of them looked at me and said she was going to "get her PR tonight", such conviction and determination, you would have thought she was going to tell me that she would kill for it . . .

She stepped up to the bar, the bandana tightly wound around her head, holding her fresh new haircut in place.  She was to the bar, completely in control.  A glint in her eye revealed a steely determination underneath.  She was in the zone, I knew it, and the people around me knew it.  No one uttered a word, she set in and wrapped her hands tightly around the bar, a fiendish resolve emanating from her body, as if knowing exactly what to do to accomplish her goals.

I wonder what went through her mind, probably something like, "There is no way that I can't do this, I own this bar, I own this weight, it's mine to have and no one else can do it but me. . " something along those lines right?

She tracked the bar along her shins, you know that feeling when you pick up the weight, it feels right, traveling effortlessly up the line of action, just up to the knee and the body springs to life, the hips opening like a damn that has just burst, the momentum carrying the body - and the bar, up into the air, effortlessly, as if all the powers from hell don't want that heavenly object there.  The bar continued up its destined path, her face expressionless until it sat on the front rack position . . .

At this point a lion-like roar erupted from her mouth, the taste of victory, the achievement, and no doubt, the goal!  A smile so big spread across her face and you could see the satisfaction had changed the demeanor - not just satisfaction, the confidence.

I am a huge fan of goals, they take us to different levels in our lives.  You can make the short term list - you already know it, don't wait for New Years - be your own person, make your own goals.  Develop yourself to reach those goals, find the assistance, CrossFit is here, here to help you achieve, but also to go beyond your wildest imagination.

I was at work yesterday afternoon, the corporate role as a Business Analyst, and someone asked me about CrossFit, I won't lie, I got really excited.  Give me a topic that I am passionate about, and I will go on for days, similar to everyone reading this.  But I started talking about weightlifting, gymnastics, kettlebells, running, rowing, the whole nine yards, constantly varied, functional movements, executed at a high intensity . .

Well, my co-worker got stuck on the gymnastics piece, she said that she "could never do a handstand."  Now, I get it, things take hard work, but she immediately shut down when I said that she could, but she would have to work at it, it was a realistic goal.  Her dreams of becoming the highest grossing paid baseball player, I would have said, "Meh, probably not, but we can try to get you there".  Because there is a reason in trying to achieve, a sense that if you put the right things in the right way and find the formula that works for you, mostly anything is possible.

I asked a particular night class once to write down all the things they constituted as weaknesses, they all echoed the same sentiments, "Uhhh, everything, duh!".  I was being realistic, and none of them ever came to me and showed me what they wrote.

Do yourselves a favor, you write down your workouts, you write down your times, try writing down what you want to achieve and let's make the path to success that much easier with at least one person, if not your whole class, to help you down that path.

And for once, let's write down two types of goals, the dreams - those are the one's we strive for, for a very long time, and the objectives- the 6 month, 1 yr, and 2 yr goals, those goals that get you to your dream.


"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."
 - Henry Ford

A little history lesson about Mr. Henry Ford, he was the master at achieving his dream.  He did it through hard work.  As a child he was intrigued by watches, who would have thought at that age he would have built the largest manufacturing company of his era?

-Coach Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment