Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Monday, November 8, 2010

But I Want to Talk about CrossFit

We are all guilty, at one time or another, of talking way too much about CrossFit, what on earth is going on?  Your friends, your family, your co-workers, they all think you are crazy!  The funny thing, you talk about it more and more, as time goes on - it gets worse and you know what?  It's infectious . . . let's talk about the cure . . .




The most common misconception is that anything in excess is really not a good thing.  I don't personally believe that anything that is healthy for me can be really all that bad, but I do have to know my limit. 

Let's take water for example, hyper-hydration is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside of safe limits by over-consumption of water. Normal, healthy (physically, nutritionally and mentally) individuals have little reason to worry about accidentally consuming too much water, as there are recommendations on how much should be ingested.

This isn't an article about water, it's about CrossFit.  And CrossFit not only helps me physically, it helps me mentally.  I have a more positive mood, I am more resilient to negativity.  I don't put up with too much crap.  I am more organized, I have more energy, and I feel like I have more time.  I don't have to work out for two-three hours at the gym to smoke my bi's and tri's - not that I ever, ever did that.  I am more candid with my feedback, because getting to the point makes my day go by faster and I can accomplish more.  When I Coach, I want the athlete to learn the movements as quickly and safely as possible.  So I don't mind telling them to put their ass down on the deadlift, I don't mind telling someone to adjust their feet underneath their hips when they have their feet outside of their shoulders.

We talk about it so much because of everything it has done for us.  It's the community, it's the inspiration, it was what we were doing the last time we talked to you - and how far we have come now.  It's what has changed us for the better and what has made us so damn positive.  It has allotted us some form of patience.  Our understanding is that you don't wanna hear it, but our understanding is that you just don't get it - yet.  We talk about it til you get it.  We talk about it til you tried it.  Now from a coaching perspective, CrossFit is for everyone, from a athlete perspective - CrossFit is for everyone.  At some point, you will come around.

Movie time is back!

I want to refer you to 1999 -  the Matrix, you know, the movie with Keanu Reeves, aka Neo.  The true nature of reality is that we all live in a computer and we are slaves to machines.  I am not saying that CrossFit is a different reality, but I am saying it kinda is.  Neo comes out of the matrix, out of what he knows, goes somewhere extremely uncomfortable, is taught by his coach Morpheus(Laurence Fishburne), has a community and a family of people to help him.  He talks about the matrix all the time while in the matrix and no one wants to hear it, but a few dedicated people help him out.

I bring this up because I think inside of all of us, we want to inspire - that's why we talk about it so much.  There is no cure - once you're in, you're in.  There is no going back, I have tried to workout the old way, and damn, it's boring.  Now our type of working out can be extreme at times, there is no doubt - but most people don't do muscle-up to L-sit to Ring Handstand pushups the first day they do CrossFit, but that's what they see when they do research on it.  The common misconception is that we research it, we review it, we see what we want to see - that it's really hard, but what we should be doing is saying six words;

"Take the first step, try it."
-Anthony Oteri

-Coach Tony

2 comments:

  1. Nice post Tony!! Well said! I am going to post this to FB on my page. I feel like I was always meant to do Crossfit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if I talk about Crossfit at one more family function my relatives will all groan on cue! You are correct though, it is infectious, we want to spread the word. This is pretty much the best I have ever felt about my health, life, the world,etc...

    ReplyDelete