Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Monday, October 18, 2010

Rest Day Blues

I had my rest day today :(  So I started to think, is a rest day an actual rest day?  If I go through the motions of specific movements that I need to work on, will it benefit me in anyway?  If I do a little online research through none other than the CrossFit Journal (http://journal.crossfit.com/), or different expert websites on Gymnastics, Olympic Lifting, Kettlebells, etc, won't I get better?  Can't I make the athlete's I coach better?

Of course!



So it started as just 1,2,3,4,5 rep scheme of  35lb atlas stone cleans and muscle-ups.  Two movements that I know I need to smooth out and become good at it.

And it kinda ended there, because class was starting in ten minutes and I had begun to do what I love best, coaching the athletes.  Nothing elicits the same response in me as watching someone apply what I am saying.

My coaching style is based on some prior education, I like Fleming's VARK model when applied to CrossFit:  There are those who are:


·  visual learners;
·  auditory learners;
·  reading/writing-preference learners;
·  kinesthetic learners or tactile learners

The first 2 and the fourth are applicable, I haven't met many CrossFitters who sit down with a book, look up at a pull-up bar and start stringing kipping pull-ups together.  No offense to anyone, cause if you can do that cool, cause that is exactly how I learned to tie a tie.


My accomplishment comes in many formats, for me this evening, the highlights were definitely watching one of the athletes complete 70 kipping pull-ups after stringing together 3 last week and coaching two athletes through deadlifts.

I ended my night with the only thing that I could think of, I wanted to make everyone better.  So with some praise to the athlete's I brought to their attention that they should work on things outside of our box.  Squat at home, pull-ups at the Park, if you feel so inclined, push-ups on the sidewalk.

What does it take to work on something if it makes you better?  Nothing - as long as the next rep is better than the last.

-Coach Tony

1 comment: