Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Fighting Ghosts

In preparation of the CrossFit Opens, I didn't feel strong enough to play with the big dawgs - those guys who could lift 500 lb deadlifts and 300 lb Clean & jerks, therefore, I took a long period of time (3 months) to increase my capacity and my ability to lift heavy loads through Olympic Lifting.  Now coming back into the Opens, I potentially made a mistake, but it is an ability to learn from our mistakes that lends itself to self-realization.


I am not the biggest guy on the planet, not the strongest or the fastest.  I have compassion and heart.  We pour compassion into helping others achieve, whether its through cheering or coaching.  We pour our hearts into workouts with the intention to best our past. 

Last night I had rucked to the gym with a 45 lb ruck - as I walked in I saw on the board that the workout was the Filthy 50 and my eyes immediately went to the burpees piece and I shuddered . . .

Many moons ago, I had intentions of running my mile under 5:30; and to some extent I was close, but never achieved it, 5:36, which felt phenomenal and left me debilitated.  I was happy with my achievement.  The next goal was to get the 450 lb deadlift, only to fall short at 435. . .

So - I had thought that going into the opens with much stronger lifts would put me into a good position, and again, I calculated incorrectly.  A 225 lb Overhead Squat didn't equate to any help with a 7 minute AMRAP of Burpees, by minute 4 I was a waste of life and the only thing that kept me moving throughout were the cheers from folks as I did the workout solo.  Piece by piece, step by step, jump by jump. 

I finished the workout and if I had a hairball it would have made sense with the coughing that ensued.

Well, long story short, I fought my ghost last night.  Flashbacks of Saturdays burpees raced through my mind, and in an effort to focus, I pictured the cheers, focusing on that piece rather than the fatigue that had set in, and it felt effortless to me.

Fight your ghosts, achieve through perseverance and accomplish your goals.  I plan to take on 12.2 wholeheartedly - let's get it done.

-Coach Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment