Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

First Time For Everything

So I was pretty consistent with my posts, expressing my thoughts regarding athletes and delving into the human mind somewhat.  I personally believe that athletic potential is somewhat hindered by the mind and I constantly push the threshold in the people I coach day in and day out.  I know that I have been somewhat aloof as of late, my apologies.  Sometimes the priorities that we have in life take away from our ability to produce. . .

It wasn't a easy lesson learned.  I haven't written a post in eight days.  I lost my way somehow.  Maybe I was tired, lost my imagination, maybe I just didn't care.  Sometimes this happens to us, it's what makes people - people.  For the most part, I keep track of who comes into the gym every night - at least on Monday's, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays.  If I don't see someone that I regularly see, I try to point it out to one of the owner's and they send out an email to verify with the individual that everything is okay, either that, or they may have just switched times at which they come to the gym.

But I gotta let this one out, it's okay to take a break if you've been doing something for a long period of time, but rest assured, getting back on the bike known as CrossFit is difficult to say the least.  I have found nothing more excruciatingly painful then taking a week off of doing this type of working out and trying to jump back into it.  And when I say week off, it's the do nothing, eat less than healthy, and indulge time off.  Instead of doing something active, I sit at a computer and play video games or watch some movies. 

It comes down to motivation, where do you see yourself.  If you have goals and you have reached them, then okay, take the time.  If you need a break, then take it - but not to the point that it's debilitating.  That debilitating point is different for everyone.  Nothing should stop you when you are on a break from doing something active and at the very least stretching.

Last night was my motivation - it brought something to my attention that I hadn't thought about in sometime.  Even though we work on our weaknesses, we still need to focus on the nine foundational movements.  Just because we are working on Overhead Squats doesn't mean we forget the squat.  We can maximize the OHS by working on two things - supporting weight over our head and performing a proper squat.

I did a little research to try and figure out what was impeding my written word over the last eight days.  Here is what I have been led to:
Mind-wandering (sometimes referred to as task unrelated thought) is the experience of thoughts not remaining on a single topic for a long period of time, particularly when people are not engaged in an attention-demanding task. It is the topic of research in the study of attention and consciousness, as it relates to attentional lapses, or digression due to lack of focus on the task in hand.

So, as I try to get my head back in the game, try and get your head back into it.  On the same train of thought, if your head is in the game, your goals are set, who is the person you have told your goals to that holds you accountable?  It's easy to tell everyone your goals, but it's something else to tell someone that you will end up showing, later.

“First, have a definite, clear practical ideal; a goal, an objective. Second, have the necessary means to achieve your ends; wisdom, money, materials, and methods. Third, adjust all your means to that end.”
                            -Aristotle


-Coach Tony 

PS - Thank you CFGB for the quote!

No comments:

Post a Comment