Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Focus

I didn't realize that it was so important to achieve my goals for such a long time, it was always important for me to enjoy what I was doing and if something happened to come about because of that, I was content.

I have ADD when it comes to CrossFit.

Admittance is the first step.  My goals change as dramatically as New England weather.  A pattern has since developed that I will candidly consider destructive to myself.  One of my goals for the year was to handstand walk roughly 10 meters. . . well, I have since not held true to myself.   Sure, once in awhile I will work on handstand holds, shoulder touches, etc - but not actually handstand walking. 

Indicating what the goal is, to people who hold you accountable is the next step, right?  Many of you have  provided a goal to a fellow Coach (Instructor) and they ask you about it and try to determine if you are on the right path.  This partnership is meant to be collaborative - it is not a dictatorship unless it needs to be - which it never should be.  Sure, once in awhile it feels like do this and do that, but that should only be used as a last resort - not a everyday occurrence.

Individual accountability is just as important.  Hold true to yourself, if you haven't been working hard, then only you can change that.  It's a little cliche, but practice doesn't make perfect - perfect practice makes perfect.  Our workouts, our drills, our stretches, should be done technically correct - otherwise, what are we going to achieve?

Last night I made a declaration regarding double-unders, and you may or may not agree - but it isn't very often that we work on weaknesses and provide an open opportunity to work on whatever you like.  I mentioned that double-unders probably shouldn't be a weaknesses reserved for 10 minutes of every other week.  If double-unders truly are a weakness, get a jump rope and get at it for 10 min every other day.  If you watched the CrossFit Games this weekend, I am sure that people will be working on Swimming and Ring Dips this year - just a sidenote.

Weaknesses include technique driven movements, like kipping, Strongman movements (atlas stones, keg lifts, etc), olympic lifts, kettlebell movements, gymnastic movements, etc).  If the goal is to string together double-unders and you have 1 - it will behoove you to do it more often.

To be honest, I was thrilled with people's choices last night for their weakness work - I think a lot of people learned a lot of new things that will be applied once they work on it some more.

So where to next?

Get back on the path of my/your goal.  Above all else, stick to the basics and take the first step.

-Coach Tony 

"And since geometry is the right foundation of all painting, I have decided to teach its rudiments and principles to all youngsters eager for art."
Albrecht Durer  

No comments:

Post a Comment