Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Disillusionment

You know that point, when everything that has gone wrong - will go wrong, and Murphy's Law decides to throw another piece of crappolla into the mix . . .

Mentally, you were already broken down, and the additional wrench doesn't really help, it starts to break you down physically.

Now there are a couple of things you can do:
1)  Throw in the towel and call it quits, live to fight another day.
2)  Think about it till it makes your mind numb, cause that often works. . . . please read the heavy sarcasm
3)  Talk about it with someone to alleviate your fears, and potentially come to a root cause that needs to be addressed.
4)  Fight through it - I mean if Rudy could fight through being small in stature, constantly belittled and essentially a tackle dummy for 3 years, you can make it through a small funk.

Or, and potentially my favorite one,
5)  This is meant to be fun, not serious, fun.  Last I checked, we aren't going to the CrossFit Games, those athletes have already been chosen.  Yes, there is the fact that we are meant to work hard, and take our intensity to higher levels - but this is meant to be fun - not stress us out.  A missed lift in the Olympics sticks with the athlete for a lifetime, not the lift he missed in practice.   

This is familiar territory for myself.  I think I may have taken every single one of these paths as I continue my pursuit to a higher level of athleticism in myself.  I have gone on tangents in Olympic lifting, in gymnastics, in Parkour, and in CrossFit in general.  I spent months following CrossFit Football, tried the Russian Squat Program, the Wendler Program, and even a two week stint in a Oly lifting program, all while trying to continue some semblance of CrossFit.

But it all came back to doing something that while I was working out, I could have a smile on my face, or make a quick quip while I worked out next to someone (even though half the time no one is there, I still try and make a joke, hey atleast I smile/laugh).

Teamwork doesn't just include a helping hand when you are down on the ground trying to get up, it isn't just a few words of encouragement to get you through a workout, it's inside and outside the box.  It is a person to talk to and a person to learn from.

Above all else, be patient with everything - even though we achieve one thing - whatever it may be - doesn't grant us the opportunity to get everything we wanted.  As one goal is achieved another should always rise in it's place - it's just one way of how we keep moving.

-Coach Tony


"It is only a step from boredom to disillusionment, which leads naturally to self-pity, which in turn ends in chaos. "
Manly Hal


FYI - It is extremely difficult to function in a state of chaos . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment