Pages





It all started from a friend, a colleague, a peer . . .
From being bored with the same routine, from plateauing time and time again . . .
I wanted to get healthy, I wanted people around me who cared . . .

They called it constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity . . .

It's about taking the first step -

It's called CrossFit and I friggin' love it!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Let's Get At It

What a wonderful set of events that transpired last night.  I was inspired by watching athlete's not limit themselves to numbers and just move weight.  I believe the largest PR was by 100 lbs. . . oh and that isn't a typo, 100 LBS!  Well done everyone!!




It's nice to congratulate you, but it's also nice not to have you limit yourself.  By far, my favorite moment of the night was when someone was so into what they were doing, they walked away after their last lift, the 10 min time had expired, they turned around and asked how much they had just lifted.  And it didn't happen just once.

People were so genuinely happy last night that I couldn't be in a bad mood.  Interestingly, I was in a horrible mood throughout the day, between the weather in the morning (which equates to a long and frustrating commute) and things just not going the way one plans.

Then came the first of the night crew, 12 people deep.  A warm up, a skill session, and then time to work some hang cleans and some push-ups.  Following the this 10 min AMRAP (as many rounds as possible), there was a 10 minute window for the athletes to establish a 1 rep max deadlift - exhausted, tired, and wobbly.  They were resilient to say the least, staying the course as all rose to the challenge.  Most seemed to set the rhythm from the beginning, going back to establishing that 1 rep max by warming up with a lighter weight first and then going after it with such passion and conviction that you would have thought they were all Mickey Ward in The Fighter - going to be the greatest they could be and putting reservations as an afterthought in their minds.

A lot of lessons were taught tonight, whether by the Coach or the athlete.  I think that along this journey of well-being that self-learning occurs.  Sure, you can have a Coach cue you as an athlete, but somewhere along the way a light turns on in your head and you just get it.  I think everyone got something today; I saw people that could power clean and front squat start to do hang cleans like pro's.  I saw people crush deadlift records that they had made for themselves - by confronting themselves.

There is nothing better than watching a lesson learned put into action.

I can't wait to see what else you are capable of doing knowing that even though you are exhausted and tired that you can still outperform your own mind.


"Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts.  It's what you do with what you have left."

                     ~Hubert Humphrey

- Coach Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment